Countdown to Christmas at the March lights switch-on event
- Credit: Archant
The town was bathed in a sea of twinkling lights when the big switch on took place amid a huge roar of a packed cheering crowd in March town centre.
Despite high winds and lashing rain, hundreds turned out for the annual spectacular to enjoy the festive fiesta which this year boasts all new LED lights.
“The LED lighting makes the display seem brighter and whiter so it really does light up the town better,” said town clerk Clive Lemmon.
“A big thank you to everybody involved in such a successful event from all those who have helped rig up the lights, to the organisers of stalls, rides and entertainment. March should be very proud of itself.
“The weather wasn’t the kindest but people still turned out and did us proud and hopefully still enjoyed a good night out.”
You may also want to watch:
March Christmas lights are now totally renewed thanks to a three year £80,000 investment scheme.
In 2013 a total of £40,000 was spent on lights, last year £23,000 was spent and this year the final funds of £15,000 mean the whole festive season lighting show is now updated.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens