Christmas shoppers urged not to buy cheap perfume and after shave from street sellers in Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
Christmas shoppers heading from the Fens to Peterborough are being warned against cheap perfumes being sold by young people in the city.
Vastly reduced aftershave and perfume, including Chanel, Hugo Boss and DKNY are being sold which have a high methanol content.
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards say unlicensed street traders are operating illegally in the city and have so far seized 500 bottles of counterfeit designer fragrance in eight weeks.
Rob Edmunds, trading standards officer, said: “Despite a number of seizures in the city, we’re concerned these unlicensed street traders could return to capitalise on the Christmas shopping period.
“We’re urging members of the public to be aware of sellers offering designer fragrances at too good to be true prices.”
You may also want to watch:
The items are usually produced from a plastic bag or coat pocket and while at first glance they look genuine, all examples have been confirmed as counterfeit.
Previously tested counterfeit aftershaves and perfumes have been found to contain excessive amounts of methanol amongst other ingredients which they say can cause skin conditions like rashes and reactions, especially those with sensitive skin or dermatitis.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
It also makes the perfume more flammable, officers warn.
Enforcement action will be taken against anybody found selling counterfeit perfume and the goods will be destroyed.