County council owned farms estate gets six new tenants but others are still being sought
- Credit: Archant
NEW tenants have been appointed to six of the 216 farms run by Cambridgeshire County Council as part of its 33,000 acre estate, the largest of its kind in the country.
Among them is Andrew Wagstaffe who has recently moved in to Jubilee Farm, Chatteris, after improvement works were carried out to the house.
Andrew, 26, has a degree in Agriculture from Writtle College and built up experience working on local farms before deciding to start out on his own.
He said: “I have always wanted to farm, but as I am not from a farming family getting on to the ladder would have been impossible if it wasn’t for the opportunities the County Farms Estate provides.” He says it so working well so far on his 46 hectare farm.
Other tenants include Barry and Jo Meningen who have moved into New Farm, Earith, setting up a livery yard and schooling on 28ha of pasture.
You may also want to watch:
David and Liona Woricker have moved down from Leeds to set up an educational centre with small animals on a smallholding at Soham.
Claire Bourne also moved to Soham from Fordham, to relocate her carriage driving and schooling business.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 3 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 6 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 7 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 8 Hauliers on how they are tackling the HGV driver shortage crisis
- 9 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
Martin Rix moved from Soham to take over a 142ha mixed farm at Ditch Farm, Burwell. In the north of the county, Sean Goodger and his family moved to Lincoln Farm, March, taking over 85ha of arable land.
This spring, after a national advertising campaign a further seven tenants have been selected for holdings available from October 2013. An additional four holdings are now available.