Couple launch petition at Wisbech bingo hall to be given £10,000 winnings
- Credit: Archant
Support has poured in for a plumber who missed out on £10,000 bingo winnings when the club said the caller did not hear him shout.
Ron Price and his wife Denise stood outside Winners Bingo club in Wisbech this week to gather signatures on a petition to demand they are given the money.
Mr Price called out when he got the fifth number in a line for the massive win as part of a national link up game.
A checker at Winners went to verify his card and the excited crowd looked to the manager to stop the game that is relayed to independent clubs across the country.
But the manager did not react, according to the couple, and instead the host caller who was running the link-up game continued to read the numbers and seconds later the line was won by a player from another bingo club.
You may also want to watch:
“In my view the manager was too busy chatting to stop the game. We lost out on our winnings because of it,” said care home cleaner Mrs Price, of Walpole St Andrew.
In one evening 28 people signed their petition - all but two said they clearly heard Mr Price call out his winning line.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
One woman, Joan Ardener, was so upset that she handed in her membership card and has refused to go back to Winners until the problem is sorted.
Mrs Price said: “The support we have been getting is marvellous and overwhelming. I have sent a letter to Mr Waterman at Thetford Winners Bingo and a letter to the Gambling Commission advising them both all that has happened.
“I have had no response yet. I have given the opportunity for this situation to be rectified and stated that if the situation is not rectified and they still refuse to pay Mr Price then proceedings will begin with our Solicitor. I have requested they confirm in writing to us with their decision,” she said.
A spokesman for Winners Bingo said: “We wish to clarify the position with regard to the ‘claim’. The company has written to the customer summarising the complaints and dispute procedure according to the Gambling Commission Rules.
“It has also received a number of letters of support from other customers.
“Winners Bingo reiterates that the rules of bingo clearly state that any player must unequivocally stop the caller and that the caller’s decision is final. The Wisbech Club manager announced immediately before the disputed game that players must ensure that ‘any claims are loud and clear’.
“We are unable to comment any further at this time.”
• TELL US WHAT YOU THINK - Comment below or e-mail email@example.com