Couple who fell in love in hospital celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
A COUPLE who met in Newmarket Hospital as patient and nurse have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
After serving in Palestine from 1946-48 with the Grenadiers Guards Regiment, Tony Palmer was diagnosed with polio and admitted to hospital. It was there he came under the care of nurse Iris Thompson and the couple fell in love.
They were married at Chatteris Parish Church on February 17 in 1951 and marked their special day by celebrating with family and friends.
Tony, 83, who was born and grew up in Chatteris, had various occupations during his working life including butcher, saddler, harness maker and manager of Robbs of St Ives before becoming area organiser for the Royal British Legion. He retired in 1992.
Iris, originally from Peterborough, and now 85, returned to nursing after the birth of their two sons, Stephen and Bruce. She was a district nurse in Chatteris and the surrounding area for many years.
You may also want to watch:
Their son, Stephen, said: “Tony’s greatest love, apart from Iris and his family, has been the Royal British Legion, both nationally and locally. He joined as a member after his army service and has held various offices within the Chatteris branch.”
In 1996 Tony was awarded the MBE for services to the War Pensions Committee for ex-servicemen.
- 1 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 iPads and laptops stolen in school break-in
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
The couple have lived all their married life in Chatteris and both enjoyed playing bowls at Chatteris Town Bowls Club. Due to failing health they recently moved to The Elms Nursing Home in Whittlesey where they held their celebration.