Court told two men were shot dead in execution style killing at Cambs/Suffolk border caravan site
TWO men were shot dead at point blank range in an execution style killing at a caravan park on the Suffolk/Cambridgeshire border during a long running dispute with site residents, a jury has been told.
The bodies of 20-year-old Shane Hill, who had been shot six times, was found on a pathway at Willow Park, Beck Row, Mildenhall and the body of 29-year-old David Castell, who had been shot up to four times, was found in a burning car at the site, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The two men had allegedly travelled to Willow Park on the evening of Tuesday, March 15 last year on a mission to set fire to caravans on a plot at the site said Karim Khalil QC prosecuting.
Outlining the background to the alleged killings Mr Khalil said there had been a long running dispute between 29-year-old Christopher Line, his friend and work colleague Sam Vinden and other people.
Line and Mr Vinden lived at plot three on Willow Park with members of Mr Vinden’s family and prior to March 15 they had received police warnings of potential threats to their lives, said Mr Khalil. Several days before the alleged killings Line had telephoned the police to report he had disturbed several people who were trying to set light to a caravan on the plot he shared with Mr Vinden.
You may also want to watch:
On March 15 Mr Castell and Mr Hill, both from Southend, travelled to Suffolk in Mr Castell’s red Toyota MR2, stopping at a service station to fill up two cans with petrol.
They had with them a hand drawn map of Willow Park which included details of the location of plot three.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“It is plain that they had been sent on a mission to set fire to the caravans on plot three occupied by Vinden and Line,” said Mr Khalil.
He alleged that something of the plan must have become known to Mr Vinden who contacted the police on March 15 and said he had a “bad feeling” and was leaving the area.
Mr Khalil alleged that Line, who has denied murdering Mr Castell and Mr Hill, had remained at the site to “man the fort” with a stash of firearms and ammunition.
He alleged that Line had lain in wait for Mr Castell and Mr Hill and had shot Mr Hill as he returned to the Toyota after setting light to two caravans at plot three.
Line had then allegedly executed Mr Castell as he sat in the driver’s seat of the getaway car waiting for the return of Mr Hill.
The trial continues next week.