Cambridgeshire pubs sign up to campaign to crackdown on drink drivers this festive season
- Credit: Archant
Fourteen pubs and venues in Fenland and East Cambridgeshire have signed up to a campaign to crackdown on drink drivers this month.
The police are promoting the 'I'm DES' scheme where participating venues give free draught soft drinks to designated drivers.
The initiative, led by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Road Safety Partnership (CPRSP), will aim to reduce the number of road traffic collisions caused by drink driving during the festive period.
In East Cambridgeshire, venues such as Ely City Golf Club, The Beeches Community Centre and Habis Restarant are on the list.
Meanwhile, in March The Ship Inn and Cassanos are also included.
You may also want to watch:
It comes as 46 venues across Cambridgeshire have signed up to the scheme this year - more than triple the number of venues compared to last year.
To participate in the scheme, which runs throughout December, people need to let staff in participating venues know they are the designated driver and ask for an 'I'm DES' wristband from a member of staff.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 4 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 5 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 8 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 9 Free bus travel for 16 to 18 year-olds pledged by Labour candidate for mayor
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
Jon Morris, casualty reduction officer at Cambridgeshire Constabulary, said: "We would encourage people to take advantage of the scheme and help us make the roads of Cambridgeshire safer for everyone.
"We advise if you're drinking, even if you have just one drink, arrange another way of getting home."
To enforce the campaign, officers will be conducting additional stop-checks throughout December to combat drink and drug drivers.
Officers are also urging members of the public to report drink or drug driving via the dedicated, confidential hotline.
The hotline: 0800 032 0845 is available 24/7.
For more information about drink or drug driving, the law and the dangers it can cause, visit www.cambs.police.uk/drinkdrugdriving
Pubs and venues on the list include:
- The Fox, Burwell
- The Shed, Lode
- The Beeches Community Centre, Isleham, Ely
- Habis Café Bar and Restaurant, Littleport
- Ely City Golf Club, Ely
- Ye Olde School Bell, Little Downham
- The Bell, Kennett, Newmarket
- GER Sports Club, March
- The Angel Inn, Wisbech
- The King's Head, Wisbech
- The Three Tins, Wisbech
- The Red Lion, March
- The Ship Inn, March
- Cassanos, March