Crackdown on illegal parking is just a joke
YOUNGSTERS crossing the road between parked cars to buy snacks from Wenny Cafe at Chatteris are not the only ones dicing with death as a result of thoughtless parking by patrons of the cafe on Wenny Road (Students dice with death crossing road, Friday May
YOUNGSTERS crossing the road between parked cars to buy snacks from Wenny Cafe at Chatteris are not the only ones dicing with death as a result of thoughtless parking by patrons of the cafe on Wenny Road (Students dice with death crossing road, Friday May 12 edition).
On Saturday morning I was almost hit by an oncoming car as I (with great caution) attempted to turn right from Wood Street on to Wenny Road. The reason was that a 4 x 4 vehicle had been left directly opposite the cafe close to the junction, parked half on the footpath and straddling double yellow lines, facing oncoming traffic and completely obscuring my view.
As I manoeuvered I saw a police car pull into the police station car park - 75 yards from the offending vehicle - and wishing to prevent a similar close call (or worse) I walked back and asked the two officers who were getting out of the car if they would endeavour to get the vehicle moved.
I was asked to 'give them five minutes. This at 12.26pm. At 12.45pm a woman came out of the cafe with two small children, crossed the road, got in the vehicle and drove away. I returned to the police station at 1pm, when it opened, to complain, was told by one officer that they had been to the cafe, I called her a liar as I had not left the vicinity and received a profuse apology from her fellow officer. Apparently they had 'more important things to do'.
You may also want to watch:
So, Councillor Newell, don't waste your time requesting double yellow lines, the so-called police crack down on illegal parking is just another sop to keep us quiet. I also am a long time resident of Chatteris and care very much at the erosion of all of the many blessings being a resident of this town used to hold.
In conclusion, in reply to any of your readers who may wonder why I didn't go into the cafe and request that any customers parked on the double yellow lines remove their vehicle at once - would you?
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public
RON STRONGE, Wenny Road, Chatteris