Creative writers are shortlisted for Fenland Poet Laureate competition
- Credit: Archant
The shortlist has been announced for the Fenland Poet Laureate competition.
After much deliberation, the judges say they have made their decisions for the event, which is now into its fourth year.
The short listed poets in the adult category are William Alderson, Josh Bone, Miriam Brown, Charles Davey, Nigel Hilliam, Alan Irving, Helen Pletts, Martin Simmonds, Dominic O’Sullivan and Jonathan Totman.
In the ten to seventeen age group, the ten finalists are Joe Bunker, Alex Florance, Sana Khan, Anna Kober, Harriet Munson, Alice Pealling, Georgina Puttock, Rajveer Sira, Kristina Tunnard and Kenzie Whyatt.
This year there will also be a special merit prize for the best non-Fenland poem which will be awarded to Cassandra Silva.
The winner will be crowned Fenland Poet Laureate 2015 and will have the opportunity to write about events throughout the year, present poems for special occasions and work with local organisations to boost the visibility of poetry in the region.
The awards also recognise the talents of young people in the area, with a Young Fenland Poet Laureate award and trophy for the judges’ favourite poem in the ten to seventeen age group.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 2 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 3 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 4 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 5 Happy Hares boss confident more progress is yet to come
- 6 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 7 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
The judges read more than 130 entries and picked their favourite ten poems in each category.
The Fenland Poet Laureate Awards are supported by Atelier East, ADeC and the Wisbech and Fenland Museum. The organisers are grateful to the Wisbech Town Council and the Friends of the Wisbech and Fenland Museum for helping to fund this year’s ceremony.
The awards ceremony is at 7pm on Friday March 27 at the Wisbech and Fenland Museum in Wisbech.
To put your name on the guest list email the team on firstname.lastname@example.org