Crew tackles unattended bonfire in March prompting fire service appeal to take care


- Credit: Archant

Fire chiefs have issued a safety warning after a crew tackled an unattended bonfire at a building site yesterday.

At 4.57pm, a crew from March was called to an unattended bonfire in Peashill Road, March. Black smoke was billowing from the site.

Firefighters used hose reels to extinguish it and returned to their station by 5.40pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “Bonfires can quickly become out of control and spread to houses, trees and fencing - especially when they’re left unattended. We would advise anyone to avoid having a bonfire and instead take material to a local waste and recycling site.

You may also want to watch:

“If you do choose to have a bonfire, then ensure it is built well away from trees, foliage and other property. Pay attention to the weather, including wind direction, and never leave it unattended.”

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter