Crew tackles unattended bonfire in March prompting fire service appeal to take care

PUBLISHED: 09:28 11 September 2015 | UPDATED: 09:28 11 September 2015

Archant

Fire chiefs have issued a safety warning after a crew tackled an unattended bonfire at a building site yesterday.

At 4.57pm, a crew from March was called to an unattended bonfire in Peashill Road, March. Black smoke was billowing from the site.

Firefighters used hose reels to extinguish it and returned to their station by 5.40pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A Cambs Fire spokesman said: “Bonfires can quickly become out of control and spread to houses, trees and fencing - especially when they’re left unattended. We would advise anyone to avoid having a bonfire and instead take material to a local waste and recycling site.

“If you do choose to have a bonfire, then ensure it is built well away from trees, foliage and other property. Pay attention to the weather, including wind direction, and never leave it unattended.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times