Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- Credit: Policing Peterborough/Instagram
A rapist performed magic tricks and posed for photos with police and a store security guard weeks after attacking his victim and being released on bail.
Twenty-year-old Craig Myers, a keen magician, left his victim feeling suicidal following the “heartless, soul-destroying" attack on May 16, 2019.
Myers was arrested the same day but then released on bail.
Just two months later in July, Myers brazenly posed for pictures with a Cambridgeshire Police Specials’ officer.
The ‘Policing Peterborough’ Facebook page – belonging to the same force which arrested him – tagged Myers in the post, along with the caption “Magic Moments”.
You may also want to watch:
Less than a month later, Myers visited Sainsbury’s where he posed for another photo with a security guard – with a deck of cards in hand.
Shortly after his conviction at Peterborough Crown Court on Friday (January 15), police removed the pictures of him from their Facebook page.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 3 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 6 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has spoken of the harrowing ordeal that Myers put her through when he invited her to his home before forcing her trousers down and raping her in his bedroom.
She said: “Since that night I have changed. I have spent hours scrubbing my skin, trying to remove the marks that nobody sees.
“I couldn't speak about it to most of my family. It made me feel dirty, used and as if he had killed a part of me.
“I still struggle being alone since the heartless, soul-destroying attack. My mental health has been on a downward slope since the rape and at one point I tried to take my own life.
“I hope he never has the chance again to hurt someone the way he did me. I will never 'get over' what happened, I live with it every single day.”
The victim stated that after the offence, Myers had fallen asleep but she was too scared to move.
The following day the victim returned home and told her family before calling police.
Myers was arrested at his Peterborough home but claimed he’d had no sexual contact with the victim, despite DNA evidence proving otherwise.
He later admitted charges of assault by penetration and rape and was sentenced to 54 months in a Young Offenders Institution.
If you or someone you love has suffered a serious sexual offence, there are support options available. Visit: www.cambs.police.uk/information-and-services/Serious-sexual-offences-and-rape/Rape-and-serious-sexual-assault