Seventh murder arrest after death of Mildenhall football fan
- Credit: Archant
A seventh person has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a Mildenhall football fan who died after being attacked at a game seven years ago.
Simon Dobbin was left with permanent brain damage after being assaulted in Station Approach, Southend, following the Southend United vs Cambridge United match on March 21, 2015.
Mr Dobbin, a Cambridge fan who lived in west Suffolk, died aged 48 on October 21, 2020.
Medical tests later revealed there was a direct link between his death and the injuries he had suffered in the incident.
As part of a co-ordinated operation, five men aged 27, 30, 34, 39 and 45 were arrested on Friday, June 10 at addresses across south Essex.
Later that same day, a sixth man, aged 29, was also arrested and later released under investigation, along with the five other men.
On Monday, June 27, a 26-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of murder, police have now confirmed.
He has since been released under investigation.
Timeline of events
March 21, 2015: Simon Dobbin is attacked by fans in Station Approach, Southend, after watching Southend United vs Cambridge United
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 6 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
- 10 Dr Who/Alice in Wonderland parody mashup performance comes to March this Summer
July 25, 2016: Thirteen men are charged in connection with the attack
July 12, 2017: Twelve men jailed for total of 42 years and four months for their parts in the incident
August 8, 2017: Mr Dobbin's wife Nicole writes to Prime Minister Theresa May in protest of lengths of attackers' sentences
January 17, 2019: Mr Dobbin features on DIY SOS as show renovates his home for an episode
September 2019: More than 25,000 people sign petition calling for 'Simon's Law' for violent offenders to pay towards the cost of care for their victims
October 21, 2020: Mr Dobbin dies at home, aged 48
August 25, 2021: Post-mortem examination says Mr Dobbin's death was linked to 2015 attack
November 2021: Police offer £20,000 reward for information related to Mr Dobbin's death as family plea for help
June 10, 2022: Six men arrested on suspicion of Mr Dobbin's murder
June 27, 2022: A seventh man is arrested on suspicion of murder