Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- Credit: Cambs Police
A transgender rapist “with a propensity to violence” - who identifies as a woman but is yet to undergo surgery- has been jailed for 15 years.
Michelle Winter, 49, was referred to by female pronouns throughout a trial at Cambridge Crown Court; Winter has the anatomy of a man.
Winter, 49, raped the woman on May 16 last year.
The following day the victim spoke to officers, who noticed she was covered in bruises, and reported the attack.
Police say they worked closely with staff at The Elms Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) to support the victim and build a case against Winter.
You may also want to watch:
The victim told police she still had nightmares about the incident and had since woken up screaming “get off me”.
At Cambridge Crown Court on Friday, Winter was jailed for 15 years for charges of rape and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
- 1 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 2 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 3 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 4 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 5 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 6 BBC’s Johnny Dee all smiles at surprise market place birthday bash
- 7 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 8 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 9 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
In sentencing, Judge David Farrell described Winter, of Buttermel Close, Godmanchester, as a dangerous individual, with a "clear propensity to violence".
DC Jack Henderson said: “I would like to applaud the courage shown by the victim, who despite the ordeal she suffered, was able to report the offence and help bring Winter to justice.
“I hope this sentence will serve as a deterrent to Winter and anyone else who chooses to sexually harm another person.”