Woman in her 80s victim of 'attempted distraction theft' in Yaxley
- Credit: PA
Two men claiming to be utilities workers reportedly tried to barge their way into a home belonging to a woman in her 80s.
It is thought that two men visited the woman at her home in Dundee Crescent, Yaxley at around 8pm on Friday, June 18.
Cambridgeshire Constabulary officers launched an investigation into attempted distraction theft, and PC Andy Smith said the woman was subjected to a "frightening" ordeal.
PC Smith said: "This was a frightening experience for the victim and I appeal to anyone who may have seen these two men in Yaxley or the wider Peterborough area to get in touch with us.
"If anyone was driving in the area at the time and has dashcam footage then that would assist us with our enquiries.
"Also, if someone has had a similar experience, then I would also urge them to contact the police so we can deal with these unscrupulous people who target victims in such a callous way."
According to police, the men knocked on the victim's door at around 8pm but did not have any uniforms or identification.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Motorcyclist killed after driver fell asleep at the wheel
- 5 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 6 Man arrested following Peterborough 'murder'
- 7 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 8 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 9 The Queen's Head named 'Cambridgeshire's best pub'
- 10 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
The victim refused them entry and one man put his foot in the door, but they eventually left.
The first man is described as being in his 30s, about six foot, of stocky build and wearing a white t-shirt and shorts.
The second man is described as also being in his 30s, about six foot, with short hair and thinner than the first man.
Witnesses or anybody with information can contact police online (https://www.cambs.police.uk/) or on the non-emergency 101 number, quoting crime reference 35/43010/22.
Alternatively, reports can be filed to CrimeStoppers by phone on 0800 555 111 or online: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/