Criminals are behind bars thanks to the Police Major Crime Unit

Successful year for the Police Major Crime Unit

Successful year for the Police Major Crime Unit - Credit: Archant

Police are celebrating the success of the Major Crime Unit which they say continues to deliver justice across three counties.

Officers in Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire work jointly to tackle serious crime and in 2014 they achieved high profile successful court cases, some of which involved working with authorities overseas.

Superintendent Paul Fullwood said: “The cases we deal with can be horrific, complex and challenging but the hard work, passion and determination of my staff to catch some of the most serious and dangerous offenders in our society means that our streets are even safer.”

“It is important to thank members of the public too. Your information can bring significant breakthroughs for us and it is vital we work together.

“I am particularly grateful to those people who assist us in the court process by giving statements and evidence, sometimes in difficult circumstances. Your bravery and support is commended.”

You may also want to watch:

The team have two bases - one in Huntingdon and one in Welwyn Garden City - but can work from anywhere within the three counties depending where a major crime has occurred.

Successful court cases in Cambridgeshire saw Joanne Dennehy, 31, of Peterborough, sentenced to life for murdering Lukasz Slaboszewski, John Chapman, and Kevin Lee and for stabbing a further two men in Hereford in April 2013.

Most Read

Her accomplices, Gary Stretch, Leslie Layton and Robert Moore was also sentenced for their roles in the killing spree.

Steven Bunting, 46, of High Barns was sentenced to three years for blackmail after being caught out by officers who used a bag of post-it notes to look like cash in October this year.

In Bedfordshire three teenagers were locked up for a total of 68 years for the murder of a pensioner in a bungled burglary and seriously injuring his partner.

Stuart Docherty, 40, was sentenced to 12 years for stamping on the head of an unconscious man in Luton and James Early, 40, was jailed for two-and-a-half years for causing actual bodily harm in the attack.

The victim has not yet regained consciousness following the attack in 2013.

A 33 year old man from Bedford received a life sentence for raping a young woman as she made her way home following a night working in a pub in Bedford.

Simon Thompson, 52, of Bushey was sentenced to twenty years for the manslaughter of his daughter Rebecca Thompson.

Patrick O’ Driscoll, 34, was sentenced to ten and a half years in prison and James O’Driscoll was given a seven and a half year sentence for the manslaughter of 34 year old.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter