Culinary expert at Wisbech Grammar School bidding to put Fenland food on the map
A CULINARY expert at Wisbech Grammar School is spearheading a bold bid to put Fenland food on the map.
Alison Sloan, head of food and nutrition at the school, has signed up to Taste Real Food UK, a non-profit association which seeks to explore and promote through local communities the taste of real food. She is heading a committee of five at the school to stir up interest in the area.
A series of food events have been planned to celebrate growing, producing, eating and cooking – and the aim is to get the school and the community to interact.
Mrs Sloan said: “We are proud of our food heritage and want to show and remind everyone what fantastic food we produce in this area.
“We work with businesses, producers, schools, farmers and anyone who eats to celebrate and enjoy our local food.”
You may also want to watch:
The string of tasty events kicks off with a launch night in partnership with Peckover House on September 30 with a garden party with an orange theme, including a cookery demonstration, canap�s and sparkling drinks.
Tickets cost �5 and �1 from each ticket sale goes to help restore the orangery at the National Trust property which contains trees that could be up to 300 years old.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 5 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 6 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 7 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
A Halloween ‘Ghoul School’ event with ghost stories and pumpin soup is plan and in July a beer and pudding evening has been arranged at the White Lion Hotel.
For more information about the events contact Mrs Sloan on 07778324250.