Culinary expert at Wisbech Grammar School bidding to put Fenland food on the map
A CULINARY expert at Wisbech Grammar School is spearheading a bold bid to put Fenland food on the map.
Alison Sloan, head of food and nutrition at the school, has signed up to Taste Real Food UK, a non-profit association which seeks to explore and promote through local communities the taste of real food. She is heading a committee of five at the school to stir up interest in the area.
A series of food events have been planned to celebrate growing, producing, eating and cooking – and the aim is to get the school and the community to interact.
Mrs Sloan said: “We are proud of our food heritage and want to show and remind everyone what fantastic food we produce in this area.
“We work with businesses, producers, schools, farmers and anyone who eats to celebrate and enjoy our local food.”
The string of tasty events kicks off with a launch night in partnership with Peckover House on September 30 with a garden party with an orange theme, including a cookery demonstration, canap�s and sparkling drinks.
Tickets cost �5 and �1 from each ticket sale goes to help restore the orangery at the National Trust property which contains trees that could be up to 300 years old.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 7 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
A Halloween ‘Ghoul School’ event with ghost stories and pumpin soup is plan and in July a beer and pudding evening has been arranged at the White Lion Hotel.
For more information about the events contact Mrs Sloan on 07778324250.