Cup-winning Chatteris Girls Under-11s nominated for Kids Are Alright Challenge
CHATTERIS Girls Under-11s tasted cup glory at the weekend - and the young football stars have continued to celebrate after bagging a Kids Are Alright Challenge nomination.
Chatteris suffered the heartache of losing last year’s Cambridgeshire Cup Final but bounced back in style on Saturday to beat Hormead Hares 2-0.
Goalkeeper Lauryn Titford made a string of fine early saves before captain Ella Nutter blasted the youngsters into the lead.
The emphatic win was sealed by Teonie Peyton who smashed in an incredible effort from the halfway line to start the celebrations.
Assistant Manager Nigel Titford said: “The girls were the underdogs on Saturday. They were hit pretty hard in the first 10 minutes but they battled hard and took control.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year we went to the cup final and lost and there were a lot of tears. The big advantage this year was that we were more determined.
“The girls were elated when the final whistle went. It meant so much to them and they were jumping up and down. Even the parents were celebrating.”
- 1 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 2 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 3 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 4 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 5 Man dies in A11 ditch crash
- 6 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Mum overwhelmed by support for 'angel gowns' project
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
“The girls are committed and come to training every week. It is not just about the football - they are also a great team.”
It is the second year that the under-11s - managed by Matty Allen - have been playing together after winning the league last season.
• The successful Chatteris girls are the second Kids Are Alright Challenge nomination for May.
Time is running out to recognise Fenland’s young stars as the countdown begins for July’s Kids Are Alright grand final at the Boathouse, in Wisbech.
To nominate a young person for the Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011 fill in the form on our website or e-mail your nomination to email@example.com