Cycling course for young children to begin next month
- Credit: Archant
A course where young children learn how to ride a bike in the safety of a sports hall will be re-run next month.
Fenland District Council is staging six 30 minute “Balanceability” classes for two to six year-olds at the Hudson Leisure Centre in Wisbech.
Balanceability uses “balance bikes”, miniature road signs and traffic cones to help the youngsters develop their balance, stability and co-ordination.
The bikes are just like ordinary ones except they don’t have pedals or chains, which means there is no need for stabilisers.
The course starts on November 12 and runs each Tuesday through until December 17.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah White, one of FDC’s leisure team who run the sessions, said the first course, which has just finished, was a success.
She said: “We first tried Balanceability out in an intensive, six-day course over the summer and now we’ve just come to the end of our first six-week course.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“In that time out of the 14 children who have tried it, 10 have learned to ride, which is a fantastic result given that some of them are really young.”
Councillor Pop Jolley said: “It was great to see the children in action and picking things up so quickly.
“This is clearly a fun, safe way to learn and cycling is one of the healthy activities we’re really keen to encourage, so the earlier people get started the better.”
Each Balanceability course can include up to 10 children. The cost is £28.20.
For more details and to enrol, call FDC’s leisure team on 01354 622399 or email email@example.com