David Maile leads March Society talk about Fenland legend Hereward the Wake
- Credit: Archant
David Maile, of The March Society, gave an informative talk in an attempt to raise the profile of Fenland legend, Hereward the Wake.
Hereward the Wake was regarded by the Victorian’s as “a man who truly showed the greatness of the British Empire,” and became an English Folklore figurehead.
During the talk, Mr Maile spoke about Hereward’s life and what he accomplished, such as his battle against the Normans in an attempt to defend Fenland and the surrounding areas.
Mr Maile went into great depth about the battle, then about The Wake’s latter life. He made the point about how Hereward’s profile could benefit the local tourist industry if it was publicised more.
The March Society’s February event will be held at March Library at 7pm on February 8.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Burdass will be giving a talk about the Rotary Club of March and the work it has accomplished. Everyone is welcome.
Admissions for members costs £2, whilst non-members pay £3. The event will have complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits.
- 1 Nine years jail for paedophile who 'manipulated and exploited' teenage girls
- 2 Man hospitalised with serious injuries after industrial accident
- 3 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 4 Police respond to 200 Covid breaches in one weekend
- 5 Two-car collision on A47
- 6 Hickford blames county council's 'incompetent project management' for abandoning Manor Farm
- 7 Drunk and disorderly man ‘ashamed and embarrassed’ after arrest
- 8 Rapid Covid-19 test centre highlights latest success
- 9 'We can't stand still' - co-chairman on taking Whittlesey to next level
- 10 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
The March Society are on Facebook and Twittter. For more information visit www.themarchsociety.org.uk