David Maile leads March Society talk about Fenland legend Hereward the Wake
- Credit: Archant
David Maile, of The March Society, gave an informative talk in an attempt to raise the profile of Fenland legend, Hereward the Wake.
Hereward the Wake was regarded by the Victorian’s as “a man who truly showed the greatness of the British Empire,” and became an English Folklore figurehead.
During the talk, Mr Maile spoke about Hereward’s life and what he accomplished, such as his battle against the Normans in an attempt to defend Fenland and the surrounding areas.
Mr Maile went into great depth about the battle, then about The Wake’s latter life. He made the point about how Hereward’s profile could benefit the local tourist industry if it was publicised more.
The March Society’s February event will be held at March Library at 7pm on February 8.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Burdass will be giving a talk about the Rotary Club of March and the work it has accomplished. Everyone is welcome.
Admissions for members costs £2, whilst non-members pay £3. The event will have complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The March Society are on Facebook and Twittter. For more information visit www.themarchsociety.org.uk