Death announced today of Mac Cotterell, MBE, former Fenland Council leader and stalwart of local government for 50 years
- Credit: Archant
The death was announced today of Councillor Mac Cotterell, MBE, a former leader of Fenland District Council.
Mr Cotterell has been involved in local government for half a century and has enjoyed a long and distinguished career. He had been ill for some time but continued to work for the council, most latterly as special advisor to the Cabinet.
Council leader Alan Melton said he was “devastated” by the news and described Mr Cotterell as “my best friend in local government”.
Mr Cotterell represented Elm on the district council and in a long career held many posts including that of council leader from 1990 to 2001.
One of his proudest moments was the setting up of Golden Age Fairs in Fenland 10 years ago and has attracted 5,000 visitors over that period. One of the elements of the fairs has been to promote energy advice to the elderly and also helping people tackle unclaimed benefits to which they are entitled. So far more than £730,000 has been paid out as a result of advice given at the fairs.
You may also want to watch:
He was for some years news editor of the Wisbech Advertiser and later worked as a freelance journalist and photographer. He worked for EMAP and was a correspondent for many national newspapers and for the BBC TV and radio. He was educated at Wisbech Grammar School and trained as an accountant before joining the RAF.
Mr Cotterell was the youngest chairman of Wisbech Chamber of Commerce and later became its president.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
A fuller tribute to Mr Cotterell will appear on line later today.