Dedicated 17-year-old volunteer becomes third nominee in Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011
YOUNG volunteer Lauren Wymer is the third nominee in the 2011 Kids Are Alright Challenge.
The 17-year-old is a senior member of the Wisbech Locality youth work team, where she has spent three years supporting young people across Fenland.
Lauren, who is currently studying a care course at college, attends the youth club weekly and has helped teach cooking, arts and crafts and sports.
She has completed fund raising car washes, charity supermarket bag packs and group residential trips. For the last two summers, Lauren has taken part in Race for Life to raise money for cancer research.
Laura Burgess, from Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “Lauren is an extremely dedicated individual who shows her support and passion for youth work each and every time she attends a session.
You may also want to watch:
“Lauren gets along with everyone, whether it’s staff, volunteers, other senior members, young people or visitors and during sessions she encourages others to participate.
“She is always willing to do whatever is asked of her.”
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 8 Fenland BusFest is back in Whittlesey this weekend
- 9 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed
- 10 Motor cyclist killed in March crash
The teenager is now preparing to take part in a mentoring programme in partnership with Block Fen animal centre, which will see her working with young people to help re-home dogs.
As our third nomination, Lauren will receive a certificate of commendation and an invite to the grand final of the competition, set to be held in July.
To nominate a youth group or individual fill in the coupon on the Kids Are Alright section of our website. Alternatively, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org - put Kids Are Alright in the message line and be sure to include your contact details.