Dedicated 17-year-old volunteer becomes third nominee in Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011
YOUNG volunteer Lauren Wymer is the third nominee in the 2011 Kids Are Alright Challenge.
The 17-year-old is a senior member of the Wisbech Locality youth work team, where she has spent three years supporting young people across Fenland.
Lauren, who is currently studying a care course at college, attends the youth club weekly and has helped teach cooking, arts and crafts and sports.
She has completed fund raising car washes, charity supermarket bag packs and group residential trips. For the last two summers, Lauren has taken part in Race for Life to raise money for cancer research.
Laura Burgess, from Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “Lauren is an extremely dedicated individual who shows her support and passion for youth work each and every time she attends a session.
“Lauren gets along with everyone, whether it’s staff, volunteers, other senior members, young people or visitors and during sessions she encourages others to participate.
“She is always willing to do whatever is asked of her.”
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 10 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
The teenager is now preparing to take part in a mentoring programme in partnership with Block Fen animal centre, which will see her working with young people to help re-home dogs.
As our third nomination, Lauren will receive a certificate of commendation and an invite to the grand final of the competition, set to be held in July.
To nominate a youth group or individual fill in the coupon on the Kids Are Alright section of our website. Alternatively, e-mail email@example.com - put Kids Are Alright in the message line and be sure to include your contact details.