Dedicated Fenland donors honoured at awards event for giving blood 75 times
FOUR dedicated Fenland donors who have each given blood 75 times have been presented with crystal plates.
They were among 74 donors honoured by NHS Blood and Transplant at an awards event at Murray Edwards college in Cambridge.
The Fenland donors honoured were Michael Collins of March, Trevor Henson and Jane Lake from Chatteris and Andrew Neal of Wisbech.
Derek Carr, lead donor relations officer with NHS Blood and Transplant, said: “We are incredibly grateful to all the donors present at these awards who have each been donating blood for at least 25 years.”
Guest speaker at the event was David Cooke, who was diagnosed with lymphona in 2001 and needed blood throughout 2002 during his treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cooke said: “I would not be here today but for the generous donations of blood donors who have given their valuable time and blood to make my stem cell transplant successful.
“Without the transfusions of blood and platelets during my operation, I would not have enjoyed my time with my three, wonderful grandchildren who were born after I was diagnosed with cancer.”
- 1 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 2 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 3 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Thunderstorms set to hit Cambs after hot intense weekend
- 6 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 7 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 8 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 9 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
Anyone aged between 17-65, weighing more than 50Kg (7st 12lb) and in general good health could potentially start saving lives by becoming a blood donor. There is no upper age limit for donors who have donated in the last two years.
To book an appointment call the Doctor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk