Drivers held up as accident and road works cause delays across East Cambs and Fenland
- Credit: Archant
Drivers across East Cambs and the Fens faced a day of delayed journey times and diversions today following an accident near Sutton and closure of the A1101.
The problems were exacerbated by road works near March and closure of the B1050 Chatteris Road to Somersham. This road will be closed for four days from 9am to 4pm whilst emergency repairs are carried out.
But it was the incident at Sutton that caused many delays today to HGVs, school buses and, local commuters.
Police reported early on that the roundabout on the A142 was closed at Sutton (near the Sid Bibby lay-by) due to an accident.
A lorry travelled over the roundabout causing delays whilst it was recovered and police carried out an investigation.
You may also want to watch:
There were reports of heavy mud on the approaching roads that also caused traffic delays.
The A1101 from Shippea Hill to Littleport closed today for eight weeks whilst a £1m repair project got under way.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review