Delays expected for a fortnight as works to take place on Mepal Bridge on A142
- Credit: Archant
Motorists travelling between the Fens and Ely from July 24 can expect delays as work to repair Mepal Bridge on the A142 is to take place.
The section of road will be closed from 8.30pm to 6am for two weeks beginning on Monday July 24, and temporary traffic lights will be placed on the road next Thursday (20) and Friday (21) between 9.30am and 3.30pm.
A Cambridgeshire County Council spokesman said: “The purpose of these works is to repair/ replace the bridge joints and bearings which are required to ensure the longevity of the structure.
“CCC will also look to optimise the traffic management and complete local repairs such as parapet and drainage improvements.
“I can confirm there are mobile VMS’s (Variable message sign) in place and there will be diversion signs.”
You may also want to watch:
In order to avoid the delays, motorists living in Fenland can use the A1101 between Welney and Littleport.
Motorists living in East Cambridgeshire can take that route, or, alternatively, head to Chatteris via Earith and Somersham (Chatteris Road).
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Temporary traffic lights will also be up for a further six weeks, from August 7 to September 15. For more information, follow @cambs_traffic on Twitter.