Delight as Fenland stars qualify for street dance World Championships
TWO Fenland street dance groups have popped, locked and hopped their way into the United Dance Organisation World Championships.
Youngsters from March-based troupe Sarah’s Street Style Dance wowed judges at a regional competition in Luton this month.
Two teams, ‘Xzibit’ and ‘Urban Flava’, finished among the prizes - and they will now represent England in the World Championships in Blackpool next month.
Sarah White, who founded the street dance group in 2009, said: “When we qualified we didn’t actually realise what was going on.
“The kids went up to get their trophies and came running off screaming that they were going to Blackpool!
You may also want to watch:
“It took us all a day to absorb it because it was such a shock.”
The World Championships will be held on August 24-26, with crews and dancers from America, Asia, Europe and Africa set to compete.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 8 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
‘Xzibit’ will compete in the under-14 intermediate category with ‘Urban Flava’ contesting the under-18 intermediate section. The teams’ dancers, who are aged from 10-15, will also be able to compete in the solo and duo events.
“It just proves that we are still moving forward,” said Sarah.
“Every year we achieve something different. This is a massive achievement and it’s really good for the children.
“They are so excited. A couple of children have even tried to change their holidays just so they could come!
“I think it will be the highlight of their summer. They can’t wait and neither can I.”
• The dancers, who are planning to hold some fund-raising events at Neale-Wade Community College, are looking for sponsors to help them with their bid for championship glory. Anyone interested should contact Sarah on 07855 505495.