Diamond couple celebrate at March Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Former captains of March Golf Club, Henry “John” Papworth and his wife Jill, have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
The couple - who were captains of the club in 1968 - held a lunch party at the golf club for family and friends.
Mr and Mrs Papworth first met when he was doing an engineering apprenticeship with Ramsomes, Sims and Jefferies in Ipswich, and she was a theatre staff nurse at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital.
Mr Papworth, who was chairman of the golf club from 1969-89 and was was club president for 11 years, said: “We were introduced my friends, and we were married at St John’s Church in Felixstowe on December 8 1953.”
The couple have lived in March all their married life. They have two sons, Nigel and Henry “Joe,” and nine grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Papworth and his brother owned Miller and Sons (Wisbech) Ltd, with premises in March and Wisbech, before selling the business in 1990.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend