Diamond couple celebrate at March Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Former captains of March Golf Club, Henry “John” Papworth and his wife Jill, have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
The couple - who were captains of the club in 1968 - held a lunch party at the golf club for family and friends.
Mr and Mrs Papworth first met when he was doing an engineering apprenticeship with Ramsomes, Sims and Jefferies in Ipswich, and she was a theatre staff nurse at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital.
Mr Papworth, who was chairman of the golf club from 1969-89 and was was club president for 11 years, said: “We were introduced my friends, and we were married at St John’s Church in Felixstowe on December 8 1953.”
The couple have lived in March all their married life. They have two sons, Nigel and Henry “Joe,” and nine grandchildren.
Mr Papworth and his brother owned Miller and Sons (Wisbech) Ltd, with premises in March and Wisbech, before selling the business in 1990.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 4 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 7 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim