Diamond couple met at family wedding
PICTURED cutting a cake to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary are Cyril and Sylvia Beck. The couple who live in Sycamore Road, Whittlesey, met at the wedding in Eston, near Middlesbrough, of Sylvia s older brother Stan and Cyril s younger sister
PICTURED cutting a cake to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary are Cyril and Sylvia Beck.
The couple who live in Sycamore Road, Whittlesey, met at the wedding in Eston, near Middlesbrough, of Sylvia's older brother Stan and Cyril's younger sister Lita in December 1945.
Cyril, 85, originates from Eston and Sylvia, 80, was born and grew up in Whittlesey. The couple were married on July 20, 1946 at the former Congregational Church by a Salvation Army officer - both were brought up as Salvationists - as the local citadel was not licensed at the time for weddings.
After a brief spell living in the north, they moved to Whittlesey in 1947.
You may also want to watch:
Cyril, a former mineworker, worked in horticulture for a time when setting up home in Whittlesey, before spending 37 years in the local brickworks until retirement in 1986.
Both have a passion for sport. Cyril was involved with Whittlesey United Football Club for 25 years, 20 of them as secretary, and was made a life member of the Peterborough League.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
Both were heavily involved in the Whittlesey Cricket Club for a number of years, Cyril as umpire and Sylvia as scorer. Cyril has since become president.
They have two sons, Melvyn, a journalist, and Stewart, an immigration officer at Leeds/Bradford Airport, two grandchildren and two step-grandchildren.
A celebration lunch for family and friends was held at Whittlesey Manor Bowls Club, with pride of place among the many congratulatory letters and cards being one from the Queen.