Diamond Day: Fenland couple toast wedding anniversary exactly a year before Queen’s Jubilee
A MARCH couple are today toasting their diamond wedding anniversary - exactly a year before the Queen celebrates her Diamond Jubilee.
Doris and Roy Denson were married at St Wendreda’s Church, in March, on June 2, 1951 - with the Queen’s Coronation taking place on June 2, 1953.
The Queen will mark 60 years of her reign with an extended weekend this time next year. But Doris, 81, and Roy, 83, will celebrate an incredible 60 years of marriage with their family on Saturday.
The couple, who have always lived in March, have three sons, four grandsons, two granddaughters and one great-grandson.
Doris said: “We first met when I was working at Woolworths during the war. It was 1944, so I have known him 67 years - that’s a long time!”
You may also want to watch:
“I was working in the tea and sandwich bar and Roy used to come in from working on the railways. One day he waited outside so he could walk me home and that was that.
“We’ve got no secret. We just get on with life - we take what’s thrown at us and get on with it.”
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 5 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 6 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 7 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 8 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 9 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 10 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash