Diamond day for Chatteris couple as they celebrate 60 years of marriage
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris couple Margaret and Richard Barltrop have celebrated 60 years of marriage with a short get away.
The couple met at a Methodist youth club in Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire and were married at Buckingham Methodist Church on January 7 1956.
Mr Barltrop was serving in the RAF when they were first married and the couple moved around. They settled in Chatteris after he was demobbed from RAF Wyton in 1965.
Initially Mr Barltrop worked as an electrician, the trade he had in the air force, but he later went back to college to train as a teacher.
He then taught at Burrowmoor School in March for many years. Mrs Barltrop, was working as telegraphist when she first married but had to give up her job because of her husband’s RAF postings. She worked as a general assistant at the King Edward School after moving to Chatteris and was there for 28 years.
You may also want to watch:
The couple have two children Andrew, who is married to Susan and lives in Haddenham, and Lucy who is married to Mark and lives away.
They have four grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 7 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 8 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
They celebrated by spending four nights away at a favourite spot in Northamptonshire.
Mr and Mrs Barltrop are keen singers and have been members of the Chatteris church choir for many years. Mr Barltrop also enjoyed model railways in his younger days.
The couple received an anniversary card from the Queen among the numerous congratulatory cards and messages.