Difference between slavery and the slave trade
REGARDING the news item on page 18 of last week s Cambs Times, I was pleased to read the thoughts of Malcolm Moss but concerned about his use of the terms connected with the slavery law anniversary . The anniversary in question is the bicentenary of the
REGARDING the news item on page 18 of last week's Cambs Times, I was pleased to read the thoughts of Malcolm Moss but concerned about his use of the terms connected with the 'slavery law anniversary'.
The anniversary in question is the bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade and not slavery as is printed twice in the article.
Mr Moss spoke up on behalf of the recognition of the work of Thomas Clarkson in a debate on the subject of the 2007 commemorations of the abolition of the slave trade in the House of Commons on December 18, and I quote his words as recorded on the Hansard webpage: "Public opinion on the slave trade would not have been changed as early as it was without the meticulous research and lifelong campaigning of Thomas Clarkson of Wisbech in my constituency."
I applaud Mr Moss speaking up for Thomas Clarkson's work on changing public opinion against the trade, but now wonder - is Mr Moss having problems remembering important facts, or does he not know the difference between slavery (which still continues around the world today) which was not abolished in the British Colonies until 1833/4 and the [transatlantic] slave trade? Or has there been an error in his words being transcribed on to your page?
You may also want to watch:
M JAMES, Darthill Road, March
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary