Difference between slavery and the slave trade
REGARDING the news item on page 18 of last week s Cambs Times, I was pleased to read the thoughts of Malcolm Moss but concerned about his use of the terms connected with the slavery law anniversary . The anniversary in question is the bicentenary of the
REGARDING the news item on page 18 of last week's Cambs Times, I was pleased to read the thoughts of Malcolm Moss but concerned about his use of the terms connected with the 'slavery law anniversary'.
The anniversary in question is the bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade and not slavery as is printed twice in the article.
Mr Moss spoke up on behalf of the recognition of the work of Thomas Clarkson in a debate on the subject of the 2007 commemorations of the abolition of the slave trade in the House of Commons on December 18, and I quote his words as recorded on the Hansard webpage: "Public opinion on the slave trade would not have been changed as early as it was without the meticulous research and lifelong campaigning of Thomas Clarkson of Wisbech in my constituency."
I applaud Mr Moss speaking up for Thomas Clarkson's work on changing public opinion against the trade, but now wonder - is Mr Moss having problems remembering important facts, or does he not know the difference between slavery (which still continues around the world today) which was not abolished in the British Colonies until 1833/4 and the [transatlantic] slave trade? Or has there been an error in his words being transcribed on to your page?
You may also want to watch:
M JAMES, Darthill Road, March
- 1 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 2 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 3 Lidl lists Cambridgeshire locations for ‘potential store development’
- 4 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 5 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 6 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 7 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 10 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash