Funding boost means more Fenland disabled people can improve their homes
- Credit: Archant
More disabled people living in Fenland will be able to get help they need to continue living in their own homes thanks to almost £84,000 of extra Government funding.
Fenland District Council has received an extra £83,600 of Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) funding to help people make adaptations to their homes and live independently for longer.
Councillor Will Sutton, Fenland District Council’s cabinet member for building communities, said: “This extra funding means we can help more residents get the help they need to live independently and safely in their own homes and also get help more quickly.
“Enabling people to stay in their own homes for as long as they want and are able to do so is not only better for them, but it also reduces the pressure on our healthcare services.”
The funding tops up the district’s 2017/18 DFG allocation of £944,000 which has been spent making more than 100 households more accessible since April.
The extra cash means other people will be able to get the support they need now rather than have to wait until next year when the 2018/19 funding becomes available.
The funding provides grants to disabled people and their families to help them make changes to their homes. Adaptations could include widening doors and installing ramps and handrails to improving access to rooms and facilities with a stair lift or downstairs bathroom. It could also adapt heating or light controls to make them easier to use.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body