Discarded cigarette causes barn fire in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
A CARELESSLY discarded cigarette is thought to have started a barn fire in Chatteris on Friday evening, that left a 20-year-old woman suffering from smoke inhalation.
Four fire crews and a water carrier were called to the site in Doddington Road at about 6.30pm, where they were met with a barn and storage area well alight, and smoke drifting towards horses.
Four fire fighters using breathing apparatus tackled the blaze with two jets and two hose reels and one hydrant, and cooled down some propane cylinders.
Crews from Chatteris, Manea, March and Ramsey, along with a water carrier from Yaxley attended. The fire was in a barn and storage area measuring 10m by 8m.
An ambulance was required for a 20-year-old woman who was checked over after suffering from smoke inhalation, but she was not taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Crews returned to their stations by 10pm.
A fire service spokesman said: “Smoking materials when not discarded properly can quickly cause fires both inside and outside buildings.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
“We would urge people to always extinguish cigarettes properly and never leave a lit cigarette unattended.”