Distraction burglars target houses in Chatteris, stealing bank cards and cash from elderly victims
- Credit: Archant
Two elderly men were targeted by distraction burglaries in Chatteris last night (November 28).
Between 7.30pm and 8pm, two men broke into houses in Wimpole Street and nearby Whaleys Yard, stealing bank cards and cash from two elderly victims – one of whom was injured in the process.
Police have linked the break-ins to a third on Monday (November 27) in Christchurch which also involved an elderly victim – a man in his 90s – where cash was stolen.
The men are described as around 6ft and wearing dark clothes with their faces covered and extra patrols will be taking place in the area as a result of the burglaries.
Detective Sergeant Mark Plitsch said: “These were despicable crimes and I’d urge anyone with information or who saw suspicious activity in the area to contact us as a matter of urgency.
You may also want to watch:
“If you have elderly friends or relatives please talk to them about this type of burglary and make sure they are aware of crime prevention advice to secure their home.
“Anyone with information regarding these incidents should call police on 101 quoting CF0690391117 or visit www.cambs.police.uk/report. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle