Distraction theft on woman in 80s in Sainsbury’s car park prompts police warning
POLICE have warned people to be on their guard after an elderly woman fell victim to a distraction theft in a March car park.
The woman, in her 80s, was asked for directions by men who had poor English - while an accomplice stole items from her handbag in her car.
The woman was approached in Sainsbury’s car park at about 4.30pm on October 22. A police spokesman said the man seemed to be saying his wife was pregnant and he needed directions to the hospital.
While the woman spoke to the man someone stole a purse from her handbag which was left in her car.
A similar theft took place on the same day at Sainsbury’s in Huntingdon, at about 11am.
Det Con Kayleigh O’Brien said: “I would urge people to be vigilant when returning to their vehicles and take care to ensure their belongings are on their person or secure at all times.
“Anyone with information about these crimes should not hesitate to get in touch.”
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 9 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
CONTACT: Det Con O’Brien on 0345 456 4564 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.