Distraction theft on woman in 80s in Sainsbury’s car park prompts police warning
POLICE have warned people to be on their guard after an elderly woman fell victim to a distraction theft in a March car park.
The woman, in her 80s, was asked for directions by men who had poor English - while an accomplice stole items from her handbag in her car.
The woman was approached in Sainsbury’s car park at about 4.30pm on October 22. A police spokesman said the man seemed to be saying his wife was pregnant and he needed directions to the hospital.
While the woman spoke to the man someone stole a purse from her handbag which was left in her car.
A similar theft took place on the same day at Sainsbury’s in Huntingdon, at about 11am.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Kayleigh O’Brien said: “I would urge people to be vigilant when returning to their vehicles and take care to ensure their belongings are on their person or secure at all times.
“Anyone with information about these crimes should not hesitate to get in touch.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
CONTACT: Det Con O’Brien on 0345 456 4564 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.