Do you have a garden you would like to open to the public for charity?
The Open Garden event was started and run by the Arthritis Group several years ago.
When the group closed the event was taken over by the St John Ambulance who helped with it over the years.
A substantial amount of money was raised by the event for Arthritis Research, St John Ambulance and other charities, but for various reasons it has not taken place for a couple of years.
As I helped organise it in the past I have decided to try and revive it this year to raise funds for the Good Neighbour Medical Loans Service run by Chatteris Community Group.
This service is the only voluntary one of its kind in the area and relies on donations to maintain its collection of wheelchairs, commodes etc.
You may also want to watch:
If I can find at least six owners of gardens large or small who are willing to share them with others to raise money for charity we can go ahead.
Entry to all the gardens is by programme and money goes to the Chatteris Community Group.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
Garden owners need to be available to greet visitors and if they wish run a stall, raffle or competition or serve refreshments to raise money for any charity of their choice.
All gardens are usually opened on the same Sunday afternoon from 2-6pm in the summer so I need to find a date that suits all.
Please indicate by April 27 whether you or a friend might be willing to open your garden by contacting 01354-695154.
Chatteris Community Group will produce the programmes indicating which gardens are open and the charities being supported as well as posters to display on the day.