Doddington campsite claims prestigious award
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland campsite has won a prestigious national award.
Fields End Water Caravan Park and Fishery, Doddington, run by Charlie and Michelle Boughton, scooped the Heart of England category at the AA Caravan and Camping Awards 2014
Now in its 46th year, the AA Caravan and Camping Guide 2014 has details of more than 900 fully inspected and independently graded camping parks across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
Campsites were visited by one of the AA’s campsite inspectors who looked at touring pitches, facilities and hospitality before grading the site from one to five Pennants.
Charlie Boughton said: “We are over the moon. This is quite special.
You may also want to watch:
“We definitely thought we were in with a chance but the heart of England is a large area, so we are very pleased.
“The good thing about this award is it is decided by an assessor who comes to the site and experiences the atmosphere and the friendliness of the staff. This makes it a top award in our field.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
The Doddington caravan park, which opened in 2005, has 38 fully serviced (water, electric & grey waste hook-ups) and 14 electric pitches spread over two tiers.
If the AA award was not enough, the campsite has become a Caravan Club affiliated site.
Mr Boughton said: “That is a real boost for us because it means the club thinks we are good enough to recommend to its members.
“This campsite is going from strength to strength. We opened fishing lodges last year and repeat business is up 62 per cent.”
The overall winner of the competition was Polmanter Touring Park, St Ives.
To find out more about Fields End Water Caravan Park, go to www.fieldsendfishing.co.uk