Quick-thinking dog walker praised for pulling burning bench away from village pavilion after spotting smoke coming from cigarette
- Credit: Archant
A quick-thinking Doddington dog walker has been praised for pulling a burning bench away from the village pavilion after they spotted smoke coming from a cigarette that had not been stubbed out properly.
In a post on the Facebook page Doddington Pavilion & Recreation Field, one of the committee members wrote: “We are pleased people are making use of the ground at the moment, but please be mindful of your actions.
“Fortunately an observant dog walker spotted smoke coming from one of the benches yesterday (June 9). A cigarette had not been stubbed out properly.
“The quick-thinking dog walker pulled the bench away from the pavilion and, having no access to water, called the fire service who extinguished the fire.
“The committee would like to thank the dog walker for her quick actions and Cambs Fire & Rescue Service for their prompt arrival - this could have been much worse.”
You may also want to watch:
The post continues with a reminder for people to take home any litter - or to put it in the Fenland Distict Council bin at the entrance to the car park.
It concludes: “just a quick mention about dog poo - you know what to do. There has been an increase - not nice for anyone.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’