Doddington neighbourhood area approval means residents now have a greater say on village development
- Credit: Archant
The whole of the parish of Doddington has been designated as a neighbourhood area, giving local residents the chance to play a greater part in developments that take place in their community.
The application from Doddington parish council was approved by Fenland District’s planning committee on April 27.
It means the parish council can now go ahead with preparing a neighbourhood development plan or neighbourhood development order - a power introduced under the Localism Act 2011.
A neighbourhood plan can establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood, including where extra new homes and offices should be built and what they should look like.
Before it can be adopted by Fenland District Council the plan must go through several formal stages, including extensive community engagement.
You may also want to watch:
Residents of Doddington would be fully involved in the plan’s preparation and, ultimately, will have the right to vote for or against it at a referendum. No plan can be adopted unless it passes a referendum.
If a neighbourhood plan is adopted, it would be considered alongside Fenland District Council’s Local Plan as well as national planning policy when the district council is deciding planning applications within the Doddington Neighbourhood Area. The council is legally bound to give weight to the plan.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
The Doddington Neighbourhood Area has not been designated as a business area.
Full details of the designation and a map showing the boundary of the designated area are available at www.fenland.gov.uk/designations. They can also be viewed at Fenland Hall business reception, the parish council noticeboard, Chatteris Community Hub and the Fenland@your service shop in March.
If you have any questions about the designation, email FDC’s Neighbourhood Strategy team at email@example.com or call them on 01354 654321.