Doddington neighbourhood area approval means residents now have a greater say on village development
- Credit: Archant
The whole of the parish of Doddington has been designated as a neighbourhood area, giving local residents the chance to play a greater part in developments that take place in their community.
The application from Doddington parish council was approved by Fenland District’s planning committee on April 27.
It means the parish council can now go ahead with preparing a neighbourhood development plan or neighbourhood development order - a power introduced under the Localism Act 2011.
A neighbourhood plan can establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood, including where extra new homes and offices should be built and what they should look like.
Before it can be adopted by Fenland District Council the plan must go through several formal stages, including extensive community engagement.
Residents of Doddington would be fully involved in the plan’s preparation and, ultimately, will have the right to vote for or against it at a referendum. No plan can be adopted unless it passes a referendum.
If a neighbourhood plan is adopted, it would be considered alongside Fenland District Council’s Local Plan as well as national planning policy when the district council is deciding planning applications within the Doddington Neighbourhood Area. The council is legally bound to give weight to the plan.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 8 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 9 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 10 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
The Doddington Neighbourhood Area has not been designated as a business area.
Full details of the designation and a map showing the boundary of the designated area are available at www.fenland.gov.uk/designations. They can also be viewed at Fenland Hall business reception, the parish council noticeboard, Chatteris Community Hub and the Fenland@your service shop in March.
If you have any questions about the designation, email FDC’s Neighbourhood Strategy team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 01354 654321.