Doddington painter’s Fry’s Veterans football team raises thousands of pounds for Cancer Research UK
- Credit: Archant
A painter and decorator has raised more than £4,200 for a cancer charity since he founded a veterans football team with his old playing pals.
John Fry, of Doddington, founded Fry’s Veterans, a team made up of guys he knew from his time with Benwick Veterans and other friends, last November.
As part of John and his wife’s ongoing fundraising campaign for Cancer Research UK, Fry’s Veterans took on Kev’s Tigers, who were assembled by Chatteris Fen Tigers manager Kevin Smith, at the Sportsman Pub in Chatteris.
As well as the match, which ended 9-3 to Kev’s Tigers, there was an auction, raffles, stalls and a bouncy castle.
Mr Fry said: “We wanted to do something which was fun and involved our family and friends from the local area, but most of all to raise money for the charity.
You may also want to watch:
“My mother passed away at Christmas from pancreatic cancer after just three and a half months of being diagnosed and my father in-law is in remission from bowel cancer.
“We are overwhelmed by the support we’ve had since the team was set up.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Mrs Fry added: “We never expected to do this well but with all the support we had the day was a huge success.”
Laura Holland, Cancer Research UK’s senior local fundraising manager for Cambridgeshire, said: “We are absolutely delighted and would like to thank everyone who are involved and support the team.
“Cancer Research UK has made enormous progress in the fight against cancer and continues to do so.
“However, we have only been able to do this thanks to the dedication and commitment of our supporters such as John and Fiona, without whom we would not be able to fund our vital research.”
To find out more about Fry’s Veterans call 07767 363027. More information about Cancer Research UK can be found at www.cancerresearchuk.org