Does nobody really care?
I DELIBERATELY left my response to Allan Sibley s reply to my first letter about speeding traffic in Maple Grove for a couple of weeks to see what else might happen. The result? Nobody cared or said anything, apart from one kind lady who telephoned to say
I DELIBERATELY left my response to Allan Sibley's reply to my first letter about speeding traffic in Maple Grove for a couple of weeks to see what else might happen.
The result? Nobody cared or said anything, apart from one kind lady who telephoned to say it was a pity about our cat and of course, the next-door-neighbour who always helps when needed.
This has reinforced my long-held view that 90 per cent of the population of March simply do not care what happens to their town.
In many towns and villages in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk where there are schools on busy roads, chicanes and speed-humped crossings for the patrol, there are also rigidly-observed 20mph speed restriction past the schools and automatic warning lights that advise motorists of excess speed.
Here, it seems, it does not behove our councils to even ask for the money to begin such works. We have two schools within 300 yards in this road and nigh on 1,000 pupils.
The sad fact is that Maple Grove should not be so busy. It is a residential road that has the misfortune to lead somewhere (ie the rail station and Fenland Hall) and has become a Mecca for selfish motorists wishing to avoid a short delay at the town traffic lights.
- 1 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 2 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 3 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 4 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 8 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 9 Gill ready to 'give fans a show' amid European title frustration
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
And finally to Mr Sibley. What a silly reply. Have you, Mr Sibley, ever tried controlling a cat? Tried putting a lead on it and taking it for walks?
For the record, I have had cats for close on 50 years and three of them lived happily until their late teens.
I have not had much luck lately, it is true, as one died of a brain seizure and the other by the car, but I intend to get another and I would rather no one killed this one for me.
And as for Maple Grove not needing speed restrictions because it has a bad road surface - well how idiotic can you get?
If I thought the surface (which is terrible) could prevent speeding and accidents, I would go and dig more of it up myself.
The surface. Now there's a thought. What about direct action? It may be all this town will react to. Drive with care down here because you may soon encounter obstructions that are not so easily quashed.
And councillors, remember number 60 when it comes to voting time and knock on my door if you dare. I'm sick of giving everybody an easy time.