Dog groomer in the run for county’s young person of the year
A FORMER winner of Fenland Business Awards will now go up against other inspirational young people in the region in the Young Person of the Year (YOPEY) awards.
Samantha Laws took home the business award backed by Cambs Times in 2010 after setting up her own dog-grooming business from her home in March.
She has now been nominated for the prestigious young persons’ award for the time outside her work she dedicates to raising money and awareness for dog charities.
The YOPEY awards share �2,000 among winners and their charities of choice and recognises inspiration and commitment in young people.
Samantha, 25, established Doggy Style Grooming two years ago after working at boarding kennels and Wood Green animal shelter.
You may also want to watch:
On top of her work, she has raised money for Poplar Farm Kennels, Many Tears and Staffordshire Bull Terrior Rescue, as well as organising a collection to ensure each dog at Wood Green received a present on Christmas Day.
Samantha has also donated money to charities researching cancer in dogs.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Chris Clark, chairman of Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue, nominated Samantha for the award.
“Sam is a lovely young lady who is very devoted to animal welfare,” he said,
“She has made a a great difference to or rescue. As well as raising money she has also got many of her customers to donate food and toys to our rescue which foes a long a way when you have very little.”
This year’s Cambridgeshire YOPEY is supported by various groups including Cambridgeshire police. To nominate someone for the award visit www.yopey.org or write to YOPEY, PO Box 236, Newmarket, CB8 1DP.