Don’t be distracted, police warn
POLICE issued an urgent warning to householders, particularly the elderly, to be alert to bogus officials following distraction burglaries across Fenland. A young man, posing as water board official, called at the homes of elderly people in Nordelph and O
POLICE issued an urgent warning to householders, particularly the elderly, to be alert to bogus officials following distraction burglaries across Fenland.
A young man, posing as water board official, called at the homes of elderly people in Nordelph and Outwell and distracted their victims while a second man stole cash from the home.
The first offence happened between 3pm and 3.30pm at The Cottons, Outwell, where £500 was stolen from the home of an elderly man.
At 3.40pm, what is believed to be the same pair of thieves, called at the home of a woman in her 80s in Outwell Road, Nordelph.
You may also want to watch:
While the first male distracted the woman in the kitchen, his accomplice let himself into the home to steal £215.
In Chatteris, a woman in her 90s was at home when a youth knocked at the door claiming he was from the water board.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
After getting in he took a small amount of cash contained in a bag.
Another incident happened in Knight's End Road, March, at about 11am, when two men described as being in the late teens or 20s knocked on the door of an 84-year-old, again claiming they were from the water board.
Police spokesman Beth Manning said: "We would advise householders to be aware of such thieves operating in the area and to take the simple steps needed to guard against them.