Don’t build on soggy Showfields, reader says
- Credit: Archant
I see Graham Nourse, Head of Fenland District Council Planning Department is already suggesting that the application for 220 houses at Whittlesey Showfields will be recommended for approval by the Planning Officers.
No doubt helped by the Environment Agency removing their objection on grounds of flood risk – that is so long as all houses have the ground floor built high enough!
But the picture sent to the council by Philip Rose (Chairman of Showfields Limited) taken at the height of the 2012/13 floods (no doubt meant to imply the area stays dry) is in sharp contrast to one I took in February 2014 (after weeks without rain) showing pools of standing water where houses are planned.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend