Don’t build on soggy Showfields, reader says
- Credit: Archant
I see Graham Nourse, Head of Fenland District Council Planning Department is already suggesting that the application for 220 houses at Whittlesey Showfields will be recommended for approval by the Planning Officers.
No doubt helped by the Environment Agency removing their objection on grounds of flood risk – that is so long as all houses have the ground floor built high enough!
But the picture sent to the council by Philip Rose (Chairman of Showfields Limited) taken at the height of the 2012/13 floods (no doubt meant to imply the area stays dry) is in sharp contrast to one I took in February 2014 (after weeks without rain) showing pools of standing water where houses are planned.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 6 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 7 Missing woman back home
- 8 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 9 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 10 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars