‘Don’t drink and cook’ warns Cambs fire chief after 3am call to drunken man who popped chips into the oven and promptly fell asleep

PUBLISHED: 10:14 09 September 2015 | UPDATED: 11:45 09 September 2015

Archant

Cambs fire chiefs issued a warning to ‘not drink and cook’ after being called out at 3am after a drunken reveller put some chips into the oven and promptly fell asleep.

“It’s best to get a take away if you are hungry after a night out or make a sandwich,” said watch commander Jon-Paul Jones.

He described arriving at the house after neighbours had smashed the front window and gained entry, rescuing a man who was asleep on the sofa following a night out.

“The gentleman had returned home and put some chips in the oven and fallen asleep,” said Mr Jones.

“Luckily, the fire was contained to only the chips and caused light smoke logging the property.”

“My advice is to never cook whilst intoxicated. Steer well clear of the oven, grill, hob and anything that could potentially result in a fire occurring.

“This incident also highlights the importance of having a working smoke alarm, to help raise the alarm if not to yourself then to other householders around you.”

If you know someone who is vulnerable in the community who you think would benefit from a free home fire safety check, call 0800 9179994 or log on to www.cambsfire.gov.uk

The incident happened on Sunday in St Neots.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times