Double celebration as Delamore toasts 50th anniversary and In Bloom 2011 launches
Volunteers from Wisbech in Bloom met at Delamore at Wisbech St Mary for the double celebration.
The In Bloom team normally buy plug plants from Delamore to make up the hanging baskets and containers which can be seen brightening up the town centre each summer.
This year Wayne Eady, managing director of Delamore, has donated the plants free of charge to celebrate the company’s 50 years in business.
He explained that since the company was founded in 1961 by the late Ron Delamore, many things have changed in the way that plants are grown and sold but the principles upon which the business were founded such as last minute stock at fair prices, have remained the firm’s mantra.
He said Delamore now reaches out to new customer bases including large hardware stores and large scale fruit farms but hasn’t forgotten the roots of the business and still supplies over 2000 customers large and small.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Eady said: “We are delighted to be involved with the Wisbech in Bloom committee. Making Wisbech pretty is very fitting for us as a local company and we wish the committee every success this year.
“We are extremely grateful for their help in our efforts to form closer links with our local community and schools.’
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 3 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 4 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 5 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 6 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 7 Family farmers win court case against oat milk giants
- 8 Police disrupt drug dealer's 'oven ready' cannabis stash
- 9 Hauliers on how they are tackling the HGV driver shortage crisis
- 10 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
Brian Massingham, chairman of Wisbech in Bloom, said: “We are overwhelmed at the generosity of Delamore’s. The donation of the plants will be a huge cost saving for us and enable us to set aside the funds required to relocate our growing and storage space which is necessary due to the closure of the College of West Anglia horticulture site where we have been based for over 10 years.”
Wisbech in Bloom has won ‘Gold’ in the Anglia in Bloom awards for three consecutive years.
It was judged the Best Large Town/ Small City in Britain in 2009 and was awarded five Blooms in the international Communities in Bloom competition in 2010.