Double celebration for Farmer who becomes Wisbech mayor and tourism supremo on the same day
THERE were double celebrations for Wisbech councillor Jonathan Farmer on Friday - one expected and the other totally unexpected.
As expected Cllr Farmer became Mayor of Wisbech, returning to take on the civic helm just three years after last holding the post.
The unexpected moment came when he was announced by Fenland District Council Leader Alan Melton as the chairman of a new tourism committee.
Mayor Cllr Farmer can expect a busy time attending up to 300 civic functions but in his new role he’s been offered the chance of travelling further afield.
Cllr Melton said: “Jonathan will have my full authority to visit and talk to other local government association tourism groups.
You may also want to watch:
“He will also represent Fenland on regional and national tourism bodies.”
Mayor making was before an invited audience at the town hall. Cllr Farmer took over from retiring mayor, Councillor Nick Meekins. Susanah Farmer, Jonathan’s wife, becomes the mayoress taking over from Sara Meekins.
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 4 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
Town beadle, Alister Hopkins presented the new mayor and his wife with their consort badges.