Double celebration for Farmer who becomes Wisbech mayor and tourism supremo on the same day
THERE were double celebrations for Wisbech councillor Jonathan Farmer on Friday - one expected and the other totally unexpected.
As expected Cllr Farmer became Mayor of Wisbech, returning to take on the civic helm just three years after last holding the post.
The unexpected moment came when he was announced by Fenland District Council Leader Alan Melton as the chairman of a new tourism committee.
Mayor Cllr Farmer can expect a busy time attending up to 300 civic functions but in his new role he’s been offered the chance of travelling further afield.
Cllr Melton said: “Jonathan will have my full authority to visit and talk to other local government association tourism groups.
“He will also represent Fenland on regional and national tourism bodies.”
Mayor making was before an invited audience at the town hall. Cllr Farmer took over from retiring mayor, Councillor Nick Meekins. Susanah Farmer, Jonathan’s wife, becomes the mayoress taking over from Sara Meekins.
- 1 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Crash on A141 caused by 'medical issue'
- 4 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 5 Santa's magical, mystery arrival in the Fens on a tractor
- 6 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 7 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 8 Will we have a white Christmas in Cambridgeshire this year?
- 9 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
Town beadle, Alister Hopkins presented the new mayor and his wife with their consort badges.