Dramatic New Year’s Eve rescue: Neighbours haul woman from her burning Whittlesey home
A WOMAN was rescued by her neighbours after she collapsed in the doorway of her burning Whittlesey home on New Year’s Eve.
The 29-year-old was hauled from the blaze, which started in the kitchen of her house in Crescent Road at about 3.25pm.
Fire broke out after a basket of clothing, which had been left on top of the hob, caught alight. The hob had been accidentally turned on.
Neighbours had already rescued the woman by the time two fire crews arrived. Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one extinguisher to put out the blaze.
The kitchen was badly smoke damaged and the electrics were affected. The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Tucker, risk manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, said: “We would remind residents to always keep the cooker and hob area clear.
“Sometimes these can be turned on accidentally and it can have disastrous consequences. Be safe by always turning sockets off at the wall.”
- 1 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept