Dramatic photos from Cambs Times reader of fire which broke out behind village supermarket
DRAMATIC photos taken in a Cambridgeshire village at the weekend as ten fire crews tackled a blaze behind a local supermarket.
The fire broke out behind the Co-op in Cottenham at around 3.30pm on Saturday
Staff and shoppers were evacuated while crews from Sawston, Ely, St Ives, St Neots, Huntingdon and Swaffham Bulbeck tackled the flames.
The incident was finally brought under control at 3.30am yesterday although appliances are returning to the scene to undertake regular inspections.
Incident commander Steve Cotton said: “We tackled a substantial fire in the warehouse which at one point was in danger of spreading to the Co-op shop.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully firefighters managed to stop the fire from spreading.
“The warehouse has been severely damaged by fire and the Co-op shop has suffered smoke and water damage.
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 5 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 6 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 7 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
“A fire investigation will take place on Monday morning.”
Unconfirmed reports at the scene were that two youngsters are believed to have set light to some rubbish behind the building and ran away.