Dramatic photos from Cambs Times reader of fire which broke out behind village supermarket
DRAMATIC photos taken in a Cambridgeshire village at the weekend as ten fire crews tackled a blaze behind a local supermarket.
The fire broke out behind the Co-op in Cottenham at around 3.30pm on Saturday
Staff and shoppers were evacuated while crews from Sawston, Ely, St Ives, St Neots, Huntingdon and Swaffham Bulbeck tackled the flames.
The incident was finally brought under control at 3.30am yesterday although appliances are returning to the scene to undertake regular inspections.
Incident commander Steve Cotton said: “We tackled a substantial fire in the warehouse which at one point was in danger of spreading to the Co-op shop.
“Thankfully firefighters managed to stop the fire from spreading.
“The warehouse has been severely damaged by fire and the Co-op shop has suffered smoke and water damage.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 7 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
“A fire investigation will take place on Monday morning.”
Unconfirmed reports at the scene were that two youngsters are believed to have set light to some rubbish behind the building and ran away.