Drive in one direction and it is 30mph. Drive the other and it is 40mph. Or is it? New signs are confusing, says councillor
- Credit: Archant
A speed reduction which has been in place for more than a week is confusing for motorists thanks to a mix of the new 30mph signs with an old 40mph sign painted on the road surface.
Wisbech Road has had a speed reduction after residents and councillors campaigned for improved safety amid concerns for schoolchildren crossing near the post office.
But a March Town councillor says the limit is confusing for motorists as there is still an old 40mph road marking and there have been no warning signs put up to let motorists know about the change.
Town councillor Jan French said: “When we ran a survey 98% of people asked for this speed reduction and we did the work as a minor improvements project which means Cambridgeshire County Council covered most of the funding with partial funding from the town council.
“Work was carried out at the end of February but there are no warning signs to let drivers know the speed limit has changed and an old 40 sign on the road remains.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the word here is confusing.”
A Cambridgeshire County Council spokesman said: “We are pleased to respond to local calls to reduce the speed limit along this section of Wisbech Road in March which is a residential area.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 9 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
“The 30mph signs have gone in already which are the legal requirement when changing speed limits. Ideally we would have liked to change the roundel on the road at the same time but this has had to be delayed due to issues the contractor has had.
“The work is set to be carried out on Friday to create the new 30mph roundel, replacing the old one on the road.“